Thursday 1 September 2011

Don't kill me, but I don't like Star Wars. Or The Hangover. Or the Simpsons.....

It feels good to get this off my chest. I might be one of the only engineers who doesn't like Star Wars.
Don't get me wrong, it's not in the same league as Rango (which I saw by mistake, thinking that Dreamworks made it), Sex and the City, the Simpsons (tv show, not the movie which was sittable), or The Hangover.

I don't get the whole obsession with the franchise around this! George Lucas should be remembered for making 2 awesome Indiana Jones films (as well as 2 other ones which we won't mention here). I have the sneaking suspicion that people love Star Wars because it was the only film that came out in 1977, but there were others which are considered good. For starters, Rocky made his debut at the start of the year and made quite a lot in the box office, but people don't dress up as Stalone and speak in an Italian-American accent whenever a new Rocky film is released.
I just don't get it. Did I watch the wrong film? I've tried to sit through various episodes and only managed to see 4, part of 5 and 1 and this took well over a month of sitting down for 20 minutes at a time until boredom crept up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and offered me something better to do. Like watch an old Star Trek episode or check my belly button for fluff.

While I'm at it I feel I should explain my distain for The Hangover and the Simpsons.
Both contain jokes that are written backwards - i.e. the writers think of a funny punchline and work backwards to create a scenario (in the case of The Hangover) or a part of speech (for the Simpsons) that allows for this conclusion. Not big and not clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment